The department of mathematics was established in the year 1906. The department of mathematics has its origin in small under graduate classes held in Morris College till the year 1922. These were then shifted to the Victoria College of Science, Maharaj Bagh Building. In 1925 the post graduate classes started with one student, Shri. N. A. Shastri. In 1929 the college to the present building and was called the College of Science,Nagpur.
Department of mathematics offers 3 years B.Sc. course with one of the major subjects Mathematics with intake capacity (two sections) 240/year and 2 years M.Sc. course with intake capacity 36/year with specializations in Relativity, Operation Research, Fluid Dynamics, Dynamical Systems. Department has 3 teaching faculty and has two minor research projects are ongoing, which are funded by UGC.
Aims of Mathematics Department:
- To teach the Pure Mathematics to UG & PG students as per the syllabus prescribed & framed by the university.
- To inculcate mathematical logic in the fraternity of UG & PG students.
- To motivate the students for research work in Advanced Mathematics.
- Many students of our department are worked/working as a Professors, Associate Professors, Assistant Professors, Junior College Lecturers, College Principal’s, I.A.S./I.P.S. Officers, etc.
- In the academic year 2013-14 in collaboration with the department of Statistics, the department has organized a two days National conference which was sponsored by UGC & DST.
- Many student of the department have acquired positions in the merit list of the university.
- Our two ex-faculties Dr. N. G. Shabde& Dr. B. R. Bhosale are the recipient of D.Sc., the highest degree in the faculty of science.