The department was established in 1906 with B.Sc. programme, later on in 1962 post graduate programme was introduced, with specialization as Organic, Inorganic, Physical and Analytical Chemistry. The research lab of the department has been recognized by RTMNU, Nagpur for Ph. D. and M. Phil with capacity of 100 research students. 12 teachers, out of 19, acquired Ph. D. degree and actively engaged in research through publications and operating the research projects funded by UGC, DST and MOSF. Earlier Dr. B. J. Ghiya, Dr. R. B. Kharat, Dr. M. R. Patil, Dr. B. D. Saraf, Dr. R. H. Limasey, Dr.RashmiBatra has contributed in developing the department and introduced the post graduate and research programmes.