The aim of the department is to provide quality education to the youngsters so that they can contribute in the development of the nation. Our aim is not only to give theoretical knowledge but also to provide the students, exposure to the developing society so that they can build their future in a better way.
In support of our mission the Chemistry Department faculty members strive to:
- Act as mentors to undergraduates through advising them in research & learning.
- Teach students the value of cross-disciplinary thinking by providing them with educational and research opportunities between chemistry and other fields of study.
- Serve as good role models to students for safe and ethical professional behaviour.
- Encourage students to value diversity and to develop a global perspective through international experiences in chemistry.
Goals & Objectives
- To disseminate knowledge on chemistry and related areas through active participation in related professional activities, such as Chemical Societies, industrial visit, Workshops, Symposia/Conferences.
- To produce skilled man power of well trained chemists, capable of taking up positions in various socio economic sectors of the country.
- To build research capabilities as required by the national development and academic needs.
- To develop capabilities for the provision of consultancy and technical services as well as short term specialized training to both public and private sectors.
- To produce teachers who will choose, produce and make use of local resources and educational media to enrich students' learning.
- To inspire the students towards better understanding and use of IT/Computer oriented inter phase.
The department was established in 1906 with B.Sc. programme, later on in 1962 post graduate programme was introduced, with specialization as Organic, Inorganic, Physical and Analytical Chemistry.
The research laboratories of the department have been recognized by RTMNU, Nagpur for Ph. D. and other research work. 13 teachers, out of 19, acquired Ph. D. degree and actively engaged in research through publications and operating the research projects funded by CSIR, UGC, DST and MOSF.
Earlier Dr. B. J. Ghiya, Dr. R. B. Kharat, Dr. M. R. Patil, Dr. B. D. Saraf, Dr. R. H. Limasey, Dr. Rashmi Batra has contributed in hike the department at national and international level.